Friday, December 18, 2009

Whew! That was a close one!

As some of you may already have heard, I almost had a baby this weekend! Because of all the stuff going on with my body (see last post) the doctor was concerned that we would run into complications that could affect the baby. So far he looks great, and he is considered full-term as of this weekend, so she was not worried about him being born early. She felt that the risks of complications were higher than the risks of inducing labor. But when she examined me, she discovered that my body is no where near ready for labor, even being induced. She was still going to go ahead and do it, but after conferring on it with some of her colleagues, she decided that the monitoring we are already doing is enough to catch anything that might be going on with me or the baby.
So, probably no pre-Christmas baby for us, which we are grateful for. At least I am - I knew I was not ready. There is the potential that my body could still go into labor on its own, but that's unlikely I think. Or after our visit on Monday, she could still potentially decide that we need to have the baby this week - but I doubt it. She still wants me to have the baby early, but she's giving my body more time to get there as well. That way even with induction it will remain a more "natural" birth experience. So I'm thinking weekend after Christmas, when he'll be at 39 weeks.
Also, my brother told me a funny story that I want to share. He was talking to his daughter (who's about two and a half) about me being pregnant and having a baby, and he asked her, "What's the baby's name?" Her response? "Bacon."

2 comments:

  1. Bacon is delicious, just like babies, so I guess it does make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacon. What a great nickname! And a sweet story to explain it!

    ReplyDelete