Monday, January 4, 2010

This is it!!

So I thought I would do one last update since it looks like I will probably not be updating for a while . . .
We were waiting all week, trying to encourage my body to go into labor, but that wasn't really happening. I've been in early labor for a few days, having contractions and what-not, but nothing regular or even very strong. I kept getting totally frustrated.
We had a doctor's appointment this morning, and she checked me as well as doing an ultrasound. She said that my cervix seems just about the same as two weeks ago, which was seriously disappointing. I expected to be pretty effaced from all the activity that's been going on, but apparently no such luck. However, I am dilated one centimeter! So my body is doing something, I suppose. So while she was checking me, the doctor said, well you'll definitely have this baby sometime this week. Then she did the ultrasound. She said everything looked great, except for my "very mature placenta". That seemed to be pretty serious to her. So after looking at everything, she said, "okay get dressed, I'm going to call the labor wing, and let you know what they say." It looks like they are okay to check me in tonight, so we're going in!
We'll be admitted at 6pm tonight, and they'll start a cytotec induction. That's the same thing she was going to have done three weeks ago when she first brought up induction. It's supposedly the gentlest, most natural way to induce (according to my doctor) - plus it directly works on the cervix, rather than going through an IV. It also does not require monitoring after the initial six hours, which other induction methods do. The doctor is pretty sure that this will put me into real labor, since I'm already in early labor, and we won't have to do any more augmentation. But she is going to do the lowest pitocin level induction if necessary. Either way, we should have a baby tomorrow sometime!
I'm hoping the cytotec does its thing, or that I go into real labor in the next few hours (which is a real possibility). We may have a baby in the very early hours of the morning, if things move along quickly, but it will probably be further along in the morning. So this is super exciting for us!! We will post pictures as soon as we get around to it . . .

2 comments:

  1. Super exciting indeed! We'll keep our fingers crossed for a smooth and easy induction! Horray!

    ReplyDelete