Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Two weeks old

Gabriel turned two weeks old yesterday - it already seems like he's been with us for longer than that!! It has been a rather momentous two weeks, I suppose.
We're all doing well, just getting used to the sleep schedule. Of which there isn't really one. I was running just fine on five hours a night (divided, depending on his feeding schedule), but now I'm starting to feel the effects more. It will still be a while before he's even sleeping for five hours straight, so I suppose I just need to get used to it. It's not so bad, since I can try and take naps during the day. The worst is when Gabriel won't go to sleep and we can't figure out why. That usually happens when we're trying to go to bed, around midnight or so. Last night he decided he was going to stay up until 3am, for no particular reason. Usually its more like 2, if he does it. Otherwise he just goes down after I feed him, and we're able to get to sleep. I think it's only been once that he's decided to stay awake after a later feeding - although granted I am all muddled when that happens, from lack of sleep, so I could be forgetting instances.
For a week or so Gabriel seemed to be doing this cluster feeding thing that was really tiring. It seemed like he just wanted to eat constantly, which was really draining for me. When you're breastfeeding, the baby can eat as often as he needs to, so if he thinks he's hungry, he should be fed. It just gets tiring after a while. For the past few days its been a little more normal, but supposedly he'll have another growth spurt at three weeks, so we'll be in for more heavy feeding I suppose. My milk has totally come in, so I'm no longer worried about him getting enough food from me.
We took Gabriel to the doctor last week, when he was nine days old. She weighed him again, and he has passed his birth weight, which is good news. He was just under eight pounds. That puts him in the 25th percentile for his weight, but he is in the 50th percentile for both his length and head circumference, so I suppose he just needs to continue to put on weight. Which I am quite sure he has been doing. He got a clean bill of health from the pediatrician, and won't see her again until he is two months old. The next day we took him back to the hospital for a final series of metabolic tests. We haven't seen any results, but the pediatrician is supposed to call us when she gets them. They took a ton of blood for these, poor little guy.
In other big news, Gabriel's umbilical cord just fell off this afternoon!! It was looking very uncomfortable, so I'm glad it's off now.
We've taken Gabriel out on two walks this week in his stroller, when the sun is out. He doesn't really seem to know what to make of these adventures. I'll have to take a picture of his face the next time we go - it really is hilarious, very pensive. And George seems to have totally mellowed out concerning Gabriel. No more barking when he hears him cry. He really enjoys sniffing Gabriel whenever he gets the chance - I think he's still trying to figure things out a little bit.
Those are the updates I can think of right now. I've included more recent pictures, although not in any particular order (this last picture is of Gabriel with his Grandma Mary, who is staying with us this week). I'll experiment with uploading videos as well - not really sure how that works on blogger, we may have to put them on youtube first. I brought home a stack of books from the library today, all on newborn care and development. We'll see if any of those prove useful to our new life with the little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment