Friday, October 30, 2009

Baby Shower

We had a fun baby shower this past Saturday, with just a few friends from the area. I don't have pictures yet, but once I do, I will certainly post them. I am quite sure that there are some very amusing ones.
One of my favorite things about the shower was something that was suggested by my old boss - she said that at her sister's shower, everyone was asked to bring their favorite children's book, to jumpstart the baby's library. I thought this was a fantastic idea, and as a result, I have many lovely books now! My mom is visiting me this weekend, and she also brought me a huge stack of books that we read together when I was a child. Some of the books I remembered very well, and others I had totally forgotten about until I had them in my hands again. Now I just need to organize the baby's room in a way that will allow for books to be put somewhere. We will be buying another book case soon for sure.
Other than books I got some fantastic clothes, a diaper bag (two actually, so I took one back), and some super cute bibs. Showers are fun. :)
In other news, I was trying to remember if I mentioned my doctor's visit this week. I don't think I did. Basically I have a big baby, is what we have decided. I am measuring at 33 inches, which is slightly larger than normal for where I'm at in the pregnancy. I'm doing yoga, and reading tons about natural birth, so hopefully I will have no trouble at all just because he's a little big. Positive thinking is incredibly important when it comes to having a good labor, so I am keeping that up as well! Oh . . . I was going to do a post all about why I am choosing natural labor, and all the stuff I have learned about various types of augmentation of labor, but I think I'll do a separate post about that later.

7 comments:

  1. I am confused. Isn't 33 inches sort of small? I mean, my waist is almost 33 in. and I'm not pregnant (last I checked). Am I thinking of it wrong? What are you measuring?

    Anyway, horray for babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like a vertical measurement. From like the solar plexus area down. It's supposed to be a measurement of the uterus I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's a measurement of the uterus. It's pretty easy to feel the top of it now, and the measurement is taken vertically, down to the top of the pubic bone, like Robert said. Although I found out it's actually centimeters, not inches, which makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, since I don't have any reference point for comparison with that particular measurement, my next question is: how many inches around are you? Is that OK to ask? I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally don't mind the question. I measured around where I'm the biggest, which I realized is actually slightly lower than my "waist" (which really doesn't exist any more :P). At the largest point around I measure a little over 43 inches. Now maybe you can imagine it a little better. :)

    ReplyDelete