Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Check-up Day

I saw my doctor for a brief check-up this morning. I got to hear the baby's heart beat some more, which is always fun. She said everything looks fantastic, except . . . sugar is showing up in my urine again. Which is bad. So tomorrow morning I have to drink some stuff after not eating for 8 hours, and then have some blood drawn. This is the gestational diabetes test that they do for everyone, but usually not for another month or so. But because of this stupid sugar, I get to do it early. The other thing I was a little concerned about was my weight, but I seem to be back on track there.
After talking with my mom when she visited last week, I am not that worried about the outcome of this test. My mom said she had the same thing happen to her during her pregnancies, and I tend to take after her quite a bit when it comes to stuff like that. And being diagnosed with gestational diabetes would not be the end of the world, it's just not something that I'm interested in dealing with. The worst part, in my mind, is that it sets up the baby to have problems later in life, like a greater chance of having diabetes himself, or struggling with obesity. Neither of these are things that I would like to put my child at greater risk of having. The doctor said the baby is in the 70th percentile size-wise (gestational diabetes causes bigger babies), but neither Robert or I are small people, so I think that's pretty normal at this point.
All-in-all this whole experience has at least forced me to eat a lot healthier. I really have cut out junk food, and all sorts of goodies, and I've been relying on fruit stuff for my sweets. I've also paid more attention to added sugar in stuff. And I've been eating a lot more whole grains. So it's been good for me. I just hope that everything comes out okay with the tests, and it's not going to be something I have to struggle with for the next four months.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing everything right. Like, I said before, I didn't eat any added sugar or processed food because my mid-wife had a strict regiment to ensure a healthier baby and mommy and easier delivery. You always eat so well, so I'm sure you will do fine with it. What vegies are in season now with your produce person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get produce now from several local farms, rather than subscribing to one. Just about everything seems to be in season, but as I am home all the time now, I'm trying to get in the habit of using them up!

    ReplyDelete